Saturday, January 2, 2010

Easy Empanadas

I saw these made on the Food Network one time and thought to myself, "I could SO make those!!" Of course I made a few changes...well a lot of changes. Mine are baked instead of fried and they are a bit bigger than the expected "bite-size" empanadas...but they turned out really good. The good thing is, you can make extra and put them in the freezer to have for future meals or snacks. Good deal, huh? Here's what you'll need to get started...

Pre-made Pie crusts, 4 oz of cream cheese, 2 T Tabasco sauce, 1 can of green chile's, 1 T onion powder, 1 T black pepper, 1 T garlic powder, 2 oz cheddar cheese, 4 oz Monterrey jack cheese, shredded chicken or beef (I used a quart size bag of shredded beef I had in my freezer; sorry I can't remember how much it is pound wise). That's it!!!


Here's how you put them together:



Cut one piece of your pie crust into 4 sections. Place the filling on the pieces leaving room around the edges. You don't want them to be too full or they'll bust open when they cook.




Take a little bit of water and rub around the edges. This will make it sticky so it will seal better. Then take the other piece of pie crust, cut it into 4 pieces as well, then place on top of the filled sections.

You'll want to take a fork and pinch the edges all the way around. This will keep the empanada sealed, just like you do for a pie.


Now, after seeing how big the first ones turned out, I thought that I might make the next ones smaller. So, I filled the sections with less filling and just folded the crust over. I did the same steps as I did with the others to seal them.
I liked this size better. Two pie crusts gave me 8 empanadas instead of 4 really big ones. Live and learn right? Right.
I had my oven preheated at 370. Surprisingly, I cooked both sizes for the same amount of time, 30 minutes. I guess too, it will depend on your oven. You don't want them too brown.



We ate ours with a little bit of sour cream and a bit of Tabasco sauce. They were really yummy!!! I thought too, this would be a fun project to let your kids help with. Let them get their hands and mix up the filling for you...talk about "hands on project."


After the empanadas cooled off, I wrapped them up individually and put them in a freezer bag. They'll make a great snack for Mike to grab real quick. A few minutes in the toaster oven and ta DA!!!!


I hope you try making these...as tedious as it looks, I only spent 15, maybe 20 minutes putting it all together. Give it a try, you won't regret I promise!!!





I've linked this with Tempt my Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Tuesdays at the Table .

3 comments:

  1. Yum. Those look great!!! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made empanadas so I appreciate the step-by-step photos. Thanks so much for a great post and for linking to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! Thank you for all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14