Monday, February 8, 2010

Mom and Daughter Sewing Project

My Moma has been here for the past 2 1/2 weeks to help with the house and taking care of me while I get back to my norm. Since she's been here, we've been talking nonstop about all the things we would love to make for our little girls. She used to sew all sorts of cute little outfits and accessories for me and all my cousins. She did make my crib sets for my girls nursery which were just beautiful.

She went out one day and bought me my very own sewing machine. I was SOOO excited!!!

After oohing and awhing over it, we went to JoAnn's and Wal-Mart to buy some goodies. We decided to make a little Onesie Dress. It's been a long time since we sewed together, so we both enjoyed the time we shared.

After measuring the onsie from the waist to the bottom, we cut a 1/2 yard strip of fabric for the skirt ruffle. I hemmed the bottom edge first...it's going to take some time for me to get used to the machine again.

On the other edge, I sewed it to make a ruffle. My Moma showed me a trick to do a quick ruffle which is really easy. Dental floss is her secret. You simply take the dental floss and sew a zig-zag stitch over the dental floss. When you're finished, you grab the dental floss and push the fabric to gather it into a ruffle. It was really easy...try it out next time you need to make a ruffle. It's definitely easier than putting on your ruffle attachment.


Once I finished my ruffle, I pinned the skirt around the onesie. My Moma came up with a really cute idea to add strips to the shoulders to have mock suspenders. Great idea!!


After pinning the skirt and the straps to the onesie, I sewed them to the onesie ending up with this...

I had some trouble with the straps, but Moma stepped in and showed me how to get the job done. I love this picture of her hands. It'll be something I'll keep for a long time.


Once we got everything sewed on, we decided to add some buttons. Moma showed me how to get my buttons to stay put while trying to sew them. The magic trick- TAPE!! You tape the button where you want it to be attached and then sew from there. You sew right through the tape and once your finished, you tear the tape off. Much easier than trying to keep your button in the right spot, huh?


This is what we had when we were finished...the cutest little onesie dress ever!!! I can't wait to make the second one. Hope and Savannah will be the cutest little treasures in the NICU.
Moma and I had a blast making this too. I'm glad she's got another week here...we're gona be busy little bees. We've got a long list of things we want to make for the girls.
I'm sharing this with my friends at Cottage Instincts for Make It for Monday . Head over there to see all the other crafty ideas my friends have come up with.

I hope you have an awesome day. God Bless!


2 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! Your precious little girls are going to look be-yoo-tee-ful!

    What a great time for Mama and Grandma, too.

    I hope your girls are doing well and get to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both did an amazing job on the dresses!! They are so cute! Praying for your family!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14