Thursday, December 24, 2009

Italian Soup


This is one of the easiest meals you might ever fix besides a simple PB&J. I got the recipe from my Moma, but where she got it I haven't a clue. I don't recall her ever making it when I was growing up...so...she must have gotten it from a friend. It's really yummy though.
There are only a few ingredients that you'll need to make it.


- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (I had homemade ones in the freezer)
- 3 cups of beef broth (Sorry, I forgot to add that in the picture)
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 cup of carrots sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/2 medium size green pepper (Forgot to add this too)
- Frozen Tortellini (I promise this is the last thing I forgot...promise)


I usually start by browning the hamburger meat in the pot while I'm getting the vegetables cut up. Time saver, I think. My Moma usually uses whole carrots for the soup, but all I had this time were the baby carrots, so I made due with them.




After the meat is cooked all the way through, add your tomatoes, beef broth, spices, and all your vegetables. You'll let this simmer on low-med heat for about 40 minutes. Depending on when you want to eat, depends on when you add the tortellini. You don't want it to be overcooked or it will just fall apart.


***Mike made a suggestion that Italian sausage would probably be really good in this soup if you wanted to substitute it for the beef. I thought maybe even half-n-half (sausage & beef that is) would be good too. It's all up to you.

I plan on making this to put in the freezer for "twin food supply," but holding off on the pasta. It should work out...I'll let you know if it doesn't.

Hope you enJOY!!!



Stop by Life As Mom for more goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14