Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bran Muffins

I love baking. At home, Moma was never really into it. We had cakes and such, but she never found much interest in it. I on the other hand love it! It's some what therapeutic if you ask me. 



Kneading to release stress. 
Peace in measuring ingredients. 
Thrill in the results. 
Pleasure out of the treat.  
Love it!

My Nana has always been a better baker than I have been. She's had a bit more time to perfect her skills...I'm hoping I'll match it some day. She has a muffin recipe she's used for years that everyone in our family enjoys. 


Bran Muffins
MMMmmmmm! 



They are a staple ingredient for breakfast at Nana's house, unless it's Christmas (and that's a whole other story and recipe). Using her recipe, I have learned how to make these and they are almost as good as hers. You should try them! 

Ingredients:
1 15 oz package of Bran cereal
3 cups sugar (I cut it back to 1 1/2)
5 cups flour 
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
1 qrt buttermilk (or milk + vinegar)
1 cup shortening (I use coconut oil)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla



Take your time and have fun with it or you'll spill your flour like I did. Oh! You're going to need a pretty big bowl!  Luckily, I have one the same size as Nana's, so everything works out perfect. 


OK, mix all of your ingredients together leaving out the cereal, there's no special order to go in. It will be a thick batter so don't fret that there's not enough milk.


Once it's all combined, dump in the cereal and fold it in.  Look at the size of that bran flake!


Cover the batter and place in the fridge over night. To bake the muffins, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir the batter up to loosen it. It will be even thicker now that the cereal has soaked up all the liquid.


Carefully fill your muffin tin and bake for 15-25 minutes. It all depends on how much batter you put in. Nana uses a tiny muffin tin, I don't have one so mine took about 25 minutes. BIG MUFFINS!!!


I hope you enjoy these as much as our family always has. I love having recipes that have been passed down. ..almost as much as having Nana's handwritten recipe cards. Tradition is treasure.


Ha! I just noticed...you see that little piece of scrap paper to the right? That's my tried and true pancake recipe. One for a small batch and the other for a larger batch. I'll share it with you one day. *smile*

Linking up with these parties:
Blessed with Grace
Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
All The Small Stuff

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE baking too! For me, much like you, it is very therapeutic. And I adore bran muffins - we'll have to try this recipe next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. . .yes those recipe cards are definitely a treasure! I use her recipe for a holiday cheese ball every year. . .YUMMY! I'm going to have try this muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14