Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Who knows really when it became custom to eat a meal so warming and comforting as soup in the chill of the fall air? I sure don't, but I'm gladly willing to continue with this method of cooking and delight in the pleasure of an endless supply of soup-like options. Aren't you?


This week for our vegetarian night, I whipped up a grand 'ole pot of Broccoli Cheese Soup for the first time ever and was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. So our meal consisted of baked potatoes and the soup....bellies full to the brim....toes nice and warm.

Here's my recipe...

Broccoli Cheese Soup


2 cups chicken broth
1 small onion, diced finely
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 T butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups warm milk
2 cups cheese (I used a Mexican blend because that's all I had and it was yummy!!)
2 1/2 -3 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped into desirable bite-size chunks 





Directions:

In a small pot, bring the chicken broth and chopped onion to a low boil and cook until the onions are cooked through.
In another pot, melt the butter and then add the four. Combine well then add the salt and pepper. In a separate medium-sized stockpot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in the milk and stir until the mixture starts to thicken. Once it's thick, add the chicken broth and mix well. 


Next, add the cheese and stir until it's melted. Then dump in the broccoli and stir. Once it's all combined well, do a taste test. Depending on what kind of chicken broth (store bought vs. homemade) and type of cheese you used will depend on how much more salt and pepper the soup will need. Just use your judgement  I hardly used any because I used homemade broth.  After you've done the last touches, it's ready to serve. 

It's that easy and oh so good!!!


You know what's really good? Broccoli cheese soup over baked potatoes!!!!  Who woulda thunk it? Am I behind on this discovery or is it new to you too? 


1 comment:

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14