Thursday, March 7, 2013

What a Week

This has definitely been one week that will be in the running for the most stressful. I'm seriously ready for Saturday to arrive. My poor girls have been through the worse case of sickies I've seen. Friday morning, we had an appointment on base for Ellie's well-baby. The twins woke up with a little cough and I wondered then if it would get worse. If I'd only known then. 

Through out the day, the coughing got worse and the irritability was rising in addition to the temperatures. We pulled out the Tylenol and humidifier and played the game of ups and downs all night. Saturday we thought things were on a good run. They didn't seem as bad but their temps were still up and down. 

When Sunday rolled around, Hope was coughing but didn't have a fever. Savannah was completely out of it though. Her cough was to the point of gagging and throwing up and I couldn't get her fever to break. It was stuck at 103.8. I called the on-call nurse on base and they told me to head to the ER. This girl was so tough. She laid there and followed all the directions they gave her. 

She did such a good job she got Ninja Turtle stickers! A picture had to be taken to send to Daddy because they're all about TURTLE POWER!!!

I have never seen Savannah so calm and out of it. She was pricked, swabbed, prodded, and whatever else they had to do to figure out what was wrong. In the end, they decided she had bilateral pneumonia. Not a fun thing to go through.

 It made me think back to her NICU days when she lay there completely helpless. That's exactly how I felt too. Helpless. There was nothing I could do but hold her and rub her forehead. We stayed two nights because she wouldn't eat or drink anything and her oxygen level was lower than they wanted. 

Mike ended up bring Hope up to the ER too because she was supposedly getting worse. I'm glad he did too. They diagnosed her with RSV and bronchiolitis. They gave her some medicine and said she would just need some rest. Thank goodness!

Savannah finally got out of bed Monday evening when her Sissy got there to visit. Don't you love her little hospital outfit. I know she didn't feel good, but man was she precious!! Sissy picked out a new little dog to keep while they were apart. This was their first time away from each other. I've never heard, "where's Hope?" more in my life. And this was my first time being away from my Hope so when she came up to visit, I squeezed in as many cuddles as possible. 

We're home now and I can't be more happy. I'm ready for all this to be over and for my family, all 5 of us, to be healthy again. Ellie is starting to show signs of the same thing. Coughing, runny nose, congestion. I'm just praying she doesn't have to go to the hospital. 

Thank you for all the prayers.


  1. Aww. . .sending more prayers and hugs your way!

  2. Oh man! I came stopped by your blog a few days ago to say that we had been to the Plant City Strawberry Festival here in FL for the first time and had a blast, but then saw you had a little one in hospital so said a prayer for you instead. So glad the big girls are on the mend and will be thinking of Ellie! You are doing such an amazing job and holding it together so well! You inspired me while I was pregnant with twins, gave me support when they were just a few days old and home from the hospital, and continue to inspire me as you bring in another little one into your family! Hang in there!

  3. Blech! Sounds like a super stressful week - hang in there, Mama! I hope all your girls are feeling better in no time. I'll be praying for you guys!

  4. What a week is right! Praying baby Ellie steers clear of the illness. You handled it well, mama! It's amazing how we so appreciate our good health and silly crazy girls when they are down and out. Here's to a much better weekend!

  5. My goodness :( hope everyone is back to healthy. So sorry.


I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14