Monday, May 4, 2015

Corn and Black Bean Salad

I haven't really posted anything foodie on here in a while. I went for a long time where my appetite for fun recipes or anything involved was at a major low. So where I don't have anything extravagant to share with you, it is extremely yummy and easy to make.

While Mike was deployed, I had no interest in cooking full meals for the girls and I. They cared less about full course meals and preferred the simple and easy. As did I. I realized though that didn't necessarily mean we had to eat lousy just because they didn't like the idea of balanced meals. So I started making things that would last a few days; salads, grilled chicken and a few pasta bakes in addition to the easier meals.


My favorite thing I made was this corn and black bean salad. After the first time I made it, I seriously ate it all in two days and made it again for 2 weeks straight. 

It was that good. 
That good.

It's not fancy. It's far from complicated. Quick and easy. Hard not to eat while you're making it. I would make a big bowl and eat it several different ways. 

-over chicken, grilled, baked, or shredded
-over fish
-in fajitas, beef or chicken
-as a nachos topping
-over brown rice
-over a bed of lettuce
-and by itself.

I'd add in a jalapeño pepper to the salad. That is the kicker for the whole thing. No worries. It doesn't make it too spicy, but adds a certain flavor that I love. Ellie loved it, so that goes to show it's 

So here's the details....

Ingredients
2 roma tomatoes or 1 large regular tomato
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 cup of corn
1/2 cup vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
small bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
juice of one lime

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and let marry for 15 minutes or so. Then devour!
If you get a chance to make it, I hope you love it as much as I do. But warning, you may end up eating the whole bowl. 





1 comment:

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14