Monday, July 12, 2010

Recipe Round Up



I thought that I would share one of the recipes from my menu for this week. I switched up the chipolte beef and chicken fajita soup night thanks to a lack of ingredients, but we pressed forward.
I hope you try this out. It's really healthy and light on your stomach. Makes you feel good when you eat it because it's not overwhelmed with heavy ingredients. So...let's get started:

Easy Chicken Fajita Soup
You can find the original recipe here or you can follow the way I fixed it. I have a hard time following recipes sometimes because I enjoy attempting my own thing. The recipe also says to cook it on the stove...me...I did mine in the crock pot because, well, I wanted to.

Ingredients:
2 Tbspn Olive oil                               Left over rotisserie chicken
1 yellow pepper                                1 orange pepper
1 medium size onion                          4 poblano peppers
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes           1 1/2 cup black beans
1 jar of chicken broth                        2 Tbspn fajita seasoning
2 Tbspn cumin                                   2 Tbspn garlic powder
2 Tbspn onion powder                       Hot Sauce optional

Heat your oil in a skillet. Cook your onions and peppers until their tender then throw in the chicken to heat through. Toss it all in the crock pot along with the tomatoes, beans, chicken broth and seasonings. Turn it on the amount of time you want it to cook (depends on your schedule) and let it go.
We served our with some whole wheat tortilla shells cut up into squares and with a little bit of cheddar cheese....It was definitely yummy.

Mike says it would be a really good soup for the winter. It's not a heavy soup either. You now how some thick soups sit heavy on your belly? This one doesn't.

Now...I didn't have black beans in the pantry, but I did have dry black beans. I put them on to soak in the morning and about 2 pm, I put them on the stove to start cooking. I added in cumin, garlic and onion powder and a good bit of salt. I used about half the bag...making some for the soup and for my roasted corn and red pepper salad later in the week.





2 comments:

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14