Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It's All Gravy Baby! *Tutorial*

When it comes to learning the staples in the kitchen, I feel as if gravy is a big qualifier. It is something that everyone should know how to make because of it's versatility in the kitchen. It can be changed, modified, and incorporated into any style dish...any. Plus, it's so much better than any packet mix, jar gravy, or whatever else might exist out there. So much betta!!!

Gravy is one of the very first things I every learned to cook with my Moma. Shew wanted to make sure I learned the basics so I could carry on her southern love. I remember it being real intimidating.

When to add this, when to add that! Talk about "on edge!" I'm pretty sure there are other's that might feel this way too when preparing certain things, especially gravy. So, to offer to help and support in the matter, I thought I'd give a quick how to on making...

Homemade Gravy
Ingredients:
3 Tbspn Flour
1 1/2 Milk/Water/Broth
2 Tbspn Butter/Grease/Oil
(I'll explain further on the difference each will make)
1 tspn Salt and Pepper

Today, I'm doing a milk gravy for breakfast. All for the hubs.
Servings: 3
Step 1:
Take a deep breath! It's not that hard.
Take your butter/Grease/Oil and heat up the pan. Anywhere between a low-low and low-medium heat. Slow cooking is the key to good gravy!
Step 2:
Add your flour in a sprinkle type fashion. It will begin to bubble and cook.

Step 3:
Stir slowly to incorporate all of the flour into the butter/grease/oil.

Step 4:
Once it's all mixed in well, it will look like this. You'll want to allow this to cook for about 3-4 minutes on that low heat. This will cook the mixture and get rid of that bland flour taste. Trust me, you don't want that taste for gravy. (Done it!)
Step 5:
After the 3-4 minutes, slowly add in your milk...a little at a time. You can use a spoon, but a whisk might work better. Carefully work the milk and flour mixture together. It will be really runny and will resemble nothing compared to gravy. But it will.

Step 6:
Keep stirring for about 5-10 minutes. The low heat takes time, but it prevents you from having a quick mess and lumpy gravy. See what I mean??? Isn't it pretty?
Here's where you'll want to taste test before adding your salt and pepper. It's all about preference here. We're light salters...you might be the otherwise.

Your gravy will slowly thicken and evolve into this lovely wonder. Once you've hit this point, you can say...

"WAH-LAH!! It's all gravy baby!!!


Key notes:
Butter/Grease/Oil - Ok, the big difference? It's all about taste and health preferences. But, lets be real. Gravy? Not #1 on the America's Most Healthiest List.
  • If you're looking for nice, savory, smooth gravy for chicken or turkey, I would go with unsalted butter.
  • If you're fixing the gravy for breakfast, I would use grease; bacon grease, sausage drippings. It adds that nice yummy oomf that your gravy needs for breakfast. Ex: Maple sausage drippings + ingredients for gravy = THE best maple-ly gravy e-VER!!!
  • If you're keeping it real and going for a lighter version of this southern delight, than you can use olive oil.
Milk/Water/Broth - Each one will offer a completely different flavor.

  • Milk creates a creamier gravy for meals likes Chicken Fried Steak, Biscuits and Gravy, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, etc. It also adds depth to things like cheese sauces (but that's a whole other tangent!)
  • Water..eh..less creamy, less tasty, personally blah.
  • Broth...ooh! A whole other level yall! Think about Thanksgiving...Turkey gravy, chicken gravy. They all need that flavor boost and broth is the kicker! Oh so yummy!

I hope this offers a catch net for some of those that feel weary and unsure about making homemade gravy. Once you start trying, mastery of the process is sure to follow. But don't fret, I'm have my gravy blunders too. It happens to the best of us...Just ask my Moma!

Sweet luvins!!!

1 comment:

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14