Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Shortcomings and Mistakes

I think it's safe to say everyone has their own shortcomings. I know mine are many. Over the past year or so, I've really been able to see a few of mine surface more than I would really like. 
Patience is definitely my biggest. 

Sometimes you have to just let go
and see what happens.


When I was growing up, I remember all the times my Moma would let me help with things. Cleaning, cooking, washing dishes and what not. It was the coolest to do something that she does. To be like her. I'm sure there were plenty of times she wished I would just go play. Now that I have my own daughters I get to share some of those same experiences with them.  I love teaching them and showing them ways to do things. I find so much joy in it...
when I allow myself. 

Honestly...I have a hard time letting them do. Letting them mess up. Letting them ---learn---it's not something that comes easy for me. I struggle with rushing them or rushing the experience to limit the amount of stress and mess.

Don't rush things that need time to grow

The girls love being in the kitchen, it's extremely hard there. I've had to learn so so so much patience with my little ladies. They both want to do the same things, which isn't possible. And our kitchen isn't really designed for Moma/Daughter cooking lessons. I've had to learn to just let them do it on their own, with many reminders on the side. It's tough. They love being with me; They love learning with me; and I love that. So we go slow. I take a lot of deep breaths. I remember that I need to be patient with them just as God is with me. 

You can learn many things from children.
How much patience you have, 
for instance. 
Franklin P. Jones

There are times when I've gotten so frustrated. I get short and snippy with them. They get pushy with each other and the fire starts to stir. It's moments like those where I start to see how my shortcoming is rubbing off on them. So I stop them and we slow down again. It's a never-ending process. I'm sure one we'll do forever. I wait on them a lot. Not just in the kitchen. They're slow in everything they do unless it has to do with ice cream, parties, or swimming. Everything else is slow-motion time. They're almost 5,  so you can only imagine the amount of time I've spent waiting on them. 


Patience is not the ability to wait but 
how you act while you're waiting.
Joyce Meyer

But when I think about the amount of time that God has spent waiting on me. Waiting for me to reach out to Him, to call for Him when I'm in need, to rely on Him for everything. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him. So, I think I can wait on my littles until I can't anymore and with a positive approach and loving attitude. That's what I expect of them, so I at least need to be an example. 
Train up a child in the way he should go, 
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6


Being a role model for my girls is one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. It's one that never lets up, never goes away, and one I can't quit. It's also one of the most precious parts of my life. I'm grateful for the chance to learn myself in a way that I may not have been able to without my girls. I know that I will never get motherhood all right. The road will never be completely smooth, but I pray everyday that God helps me with my shortcomings. I pray to continue striving to be a good role model for them and even more so, that even in those shortcomings, God still loves us.  

1 comment:

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14