Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Garden Update

Awh...the garden. A place that's quiet. Calm. Peaceful.
A spot where I can indulge in my childhood days of getting dirty and not having a care in the world.

Oh wait, that's my girls I'm looking at...

When we built our garden and finally got everything planted, it was an exciting moment. It was a place where we could all let loose and have fun! We were learning and living for sure!


We've a spirit filled garden. Tomato plants taking over one another growing to the heavens and back.


Cucumber plants that twist and turn down every road imaginable...making their own plans.

The carrots are a slow vegetable to grow but they look oh-so-pretty in the process. Lush and green. They're starting to hang over the sides and sweep against your legs when you walk by...as if they're saying, "no worries...we're still here."


Bella girl loves to walk through the garden checking on any uninvited visitors as if she is the garden warden. Dirty little webbed paws digging tiny little weenie holes. She's such a girl!

The garden...It's a fun place. I love it.  And apparently so does this little creature...meet Charlotte!
Guardian of the tomatoes...eeek!

We've had a good season I guess you could say. There was a week that I was picking 6-7 tomatoes a day...just enough to make homemade spaghetti sauce. Yummy! But then things started going down hill. The heat was just way too much for it. You can see here...


They look all so pretty at first, but look again and you'll see the ugliness of them all. Poor things! This is due to extremely hot weather and extremely thirsty plants. Eventually, the plants soaked up too much water which led to splitting and rot.

So here I am today, starting the uproot process of 3-4 of our tomato plants. It's a sad day for sure.


Hopefully next season will be more bountiful and covered by more admirable weather.
On a lighter note, the girls have become more curious about their outdoor surroundings.

 
Meandering through and in and out places around the yard. Investigating tree bark, sifting the dirt around roots, wisping through tiny little webs, and flying around with branches of mercy.


Oh how I pray they learn to appreciate the simplicities and joys of being outside. It's a magical world where you learn more about yourself than you could ever imagine.

So...that's that. A nice little garden update for you with a little girly pizazz!



Do you have a garden? How's it coming along? What types of plants do you have?
Is your backyard full of zing and zip?
I'm so interested... please share!!!

A little sneak peak at my stash...I'm seeing some projects in my near future...Any ideas for me?


1 comment:

  1. SO amazing! I've always wanted to have a garden and with us renting for awhile I thought it would be silly. You are my inspiration. Next year for sure, even if it's in a box. The girlies sure are looking cute these days!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from friends. Tell me what you think..God bless!

But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more Psalm 71:14